Congregation Emanu El and the greater
Today the congregation consists of over 250 households in
The worship services of the congregation are a blend of the traditional and contemporary. The congregation has been affiliated with the Reform movement since 1947. Currently the congregation uses , the prayerbook of the reform movement published by the Central Conference of American Rabbis. The congregation has pioneered the reintroduction of many traditions with a contemporary expression. The synagogue is committed to the full equality of women and men in synagogue life and to patrilineal descent. As a Reform congregation, options are provided in such areas as wearing a kipah or talit.
The Jewish education program of Congregation Emanu El has won national awards for its excellence. It is the only Reform synagogue school to have twice won the Emanuel Gamoran Award of the National Association of Temple Educators (Reform) for its outstanding curriculum
The congregation provides activities for people of all ages including an active youth group and Sisterhood..
Our cemetery, the Home of Eternity, was founded in the 1850s concurrent with the establishment of the Jewish community. The land for the cemetery was given to the Jewish community by the early Mormon pioneers. Today the Home of Eternity Cemetery and Mausoleum is the oldest Jewish cemetery in continuous use in Southern California, and has been designated as an historical site by the State of
Rabbi Hillel Cohn has returned to serve as our rabbi for the 2014-2015 year. After serving as our rabbi from 1963 to 2001 and then as Rabbi Emeritus from 2001 to 2014 he has volunteered to serve as our spiritual leader again as our congregation carries on its search for a new rabbi.
From 1953 to 2009, the congregation occupied a full city block in the northern section of San Bernardino. The main building, built in 1953, housed a sanctuary, Cohn Hall, administrative offices, the Eugene H. Goodman Memorial Library, the William Russler Memorial Archives, and the Sisterhood Gift Shop. An annex was added in 1959 and the